Editor’s note: The Penn Cove Literary Arts Award is only avialable to American writers at this time. Please see 5/30/13 blog. Sorry for any inconviencience.
The Student Choice Contest has been renamed The Pen Cove Literary Arts Award
Please note: Entries will be read in the month of submission, in order of submission. The student judge will continue reading entries until he/she finds one that “knocks his/her socks off.” Once the judge has selected a winner, the mailbox will be closed. No other entries will be read for that month.
1. The award is open to all writers of any age and at any stage of their writing careers.
2. The award is open to short-forms manuscripts of 1,000 words or fewer in fiction, creative nonfiction, poetry, and children/ young adults. Entries outside the word limitation will be disregarded. Please do not send multiple entries.
3. Type the genre and word count in the subject line of your entry. All other identifying information should be posted at the end of the entry, including name, email address, postal address to send the $50 USD prize, and the writing organization or newspaper to send the press release if your entry receives the Student Choice Award.
4. All entries must be in English, original, unpublished, and not submitted elsewhere until the winners are announced. Whidbey Writers Workshop reserves the one-time electronic publication rights to the winning entry, which will be posted on the WWW Students website.
5. All entries must be double-spaced and in the body of the email. No attachments will be opened by the judges.
6. No confirmation of receipt will be sent.
7. Winners will be notified by email and a $50 USD check will be sent by US post. Please check the Whidbey Students website for the announcement of the monthly choice.
8. If a piece is not selected, authors may submit the same entry in subsequent months.
9. The winner will be announced and the winning entry posted following the month in which he or she won.